Saturday, April 27th at 1pm we will be having a Hooverball Tournament and general spring get-together at McQueen Park, 510 N Horne, Gilbert. Here is a map of the park and we will be located by the volleyball courts at the Daisy and Sunflower ramadas. We will have hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, condiments, plates and utensils, but please feel free to bring a dish to share with the group and any beverages you want. Feel free to bring family and friends. We have several teams as well as lots of individuals who are looking for teams. We will organize floaters into teams on Saturday as long as they are there by 1:15. We have several standby players so everyone should get to play.
The rules we will be using for the tournament will be a hybrid of the Hooverball proper rules and volleyball. They are as follows:
- We will play with 4 player teams.
- We will use a 6 pound medicine ball
- We will play until 21, and the winning team must win by 2 points.
- Only the serving team may score a point.
- Servers must rotate clockwise on each serve.
- The ball must be served from the back line.
- No player may run or move with the ball once they catch it
- You may pass to your teammates a maximum of 3 times.
- If the ball falls on the line it is in bounds.
A serving team may score by:
- Failure of the opposing team to return and inbound ball.
- If the opposing team touches an out-of-bound ball in the air.
- If the serving team scores, they retain the serve, but must rotate servers.
The serve will reverse if:
- The serving teams fails to return an inbound ball.
- The serving teams touches an out-of-bound ball in the air.
- The serve is incomplete (does not make it to the other side)
- The players do not serve in the correct order.
- CrossFit specific rule: When the serve reverses, the team losing the serve must do 7 burpees before next serve.
We are going to have a great time! We look forward to spending a wonderful Saturday afternoon with our favorite people.