What is Inflammation??
We are all familiar with inflammation. If you have ever had a sore throat, hives, a rash, or a sprained ankle you have seen inflammation first hand. All of these are your bodies normal response to infection and trauma. They are all GOOD inflammation, we need this type of inflammation to survive.
Lets talk about the inflammation you can’t see, the inflammation inside of you. This hidden inflammation is the cause of all chronic illness, such as heart disease, obesity, diabetes, dementia, cancer and depression. These all happen when there is an overactive immune response causing too much inflammation in your body.
So what causes inflammation??
1. Poor Diet- too much sugar, refined flours, processed foods, and inflammatory fats like trans and saturated fat.
2. Lack of exercise
4.Hidden or Chronic infections
5. Hidden allergens (food or environment)
6. Toxins ( mercury and pesticides)
7. Mold toxins and allergens
All of these in some way, shape or form cause inflammation in our bodies. The top 2 for us as CrossFitters are diet and stress.
I won’t leave you to wonder, what are some of the ways I can live an anti-inflammatory life…
Here are 7 ways to do just that.
1. Whole Foods- high fiber, fresh real foods, NO processed or sugar loaded foods
2. Healthy Fats- they do exist, olive oil, avocado, nuts, fish and food high in omega 3
3. Regular Exercise- as CrossFitters this should be easy but if you can’t get to the box just get out and do something.
4. RELAX- meditation, yoga, a hot bath or even a massage
5. Avoid Allergens- Gluten and Dairy are the two biggest
6. Heal your Gut- take probiotics
7. Supplement- Fish oil, Multivitamin and Vitamin D will all help decrease inflammation.